Friday 17 May 2013

Happy Retirement Mr. Lynch!!!


I hope you've been lucky enough to have had at least one teacher in your scholarly career who challenged you to look outside the box and go for it.  At Loretto College School we were lucky to have many extraordinary teachers, one of whom will be retiring this year.  It makes me a little sad to think that there won't be any more girls through his drama program, but it also makes me happy to think of all the girls who were fortunate enough to have worked with him.

Personally, I was never a drama kid.  In fact, Mr. Lynch was never even my teacher.  But most of my close friends and my little sister loved and still love the stage.  So, most of what I learned from Mr. Lynch was through my peers and through extracurriculars.  In those awkward teen years (is it just me or do kids seem to be "too cool" for awkward years these days?) when the last thing you want to do is stand up in front of a crowd of people and say "look at me and listen to what I have to say!", these girls couldn't wait to get your attention.  And the thing with drama is that although it gives you the opportunity to act silly and play around, it's also an avenue to convey a message, idea or emotion.  And trust me, 16 year old girls have A LOT of ideas and emotions.  A LOT.  But how do they get them out without it sounding like a bunch of gibberish or incessant tweeting?  

For me, this is one of the areas where Mr. Lynch excelled far beyond what we'd see in the drama programs of other schools during the Sears' Drama Festival, a drama competition for one act plays.  While many schools chose to perform works written by famous playwrites or even by the drama teacher (GASP! This isn't about you buddy, there are drama societies for adults where you can get your work out, sheesh!) Mr. Lynch encouraged his students to write, direct and perform their own original works.  And the results were extremely impressive, intelligent and thought provoking works of art, often under the guise of comedy. And that's what makes great comedy, isn't it? You're so busy laughing about the banana peel that you don't even process the big themes until the stitch in your side has subsided. 

His influence continues to inspire these women today.  Many have gone into creative careers, teaching or continue to love any stage time they can get.  I think a lot of it has to do with Mr. Lynch's tutelage and encouragement. And by watching them perfect their crafts, I was able to pick up a few things which I have been able to apply to my own endeavours, artistic or otherwise. I mean, I guess I'm saying, 'look at me and listen to what I have to say" in my own special way.

So Mr. Lynch, we will continue to look beyond the fence and forget you not.

No comments:

Post a Comment